We represent clients in criminal and civil appeals in the federal and state appellate courts, including the Supreme Court of the United States. Three of our attorneys, David Urias, Nicholas Hart, and Jeremy Farris, served as law clerks to federal and state appellate judges. And our firm is widely recognized for its expertise and experience in appellate litigation.
Our team of experienced appellate lawyers have briefed and argued dozens of cases in the Supreme Court of the United States, federal courts of appeals, and state appellate courts, in both merits and amicus roles. In addition to appeals in cases we litigated in the trial court, we often are retained by litigants and other law firms to handle their appeals.
Representative matters include:
- Successfully briefed and argued Gonzales v. O Centro Espirita Beneficente Uniao do Vegetal, 546 U.S. 418 (2006), achieving a unanimous victory for our clients in an important religious freedom case before the Supreme Court of the United States.
- Representation of Army whistleblower Chelsea Manning in the military appellate courts.
- The successful defense on appeal of an order suppressing evidence obtained by the government through an invalid warrant.
- Pro bono representation of a prisoner in the Arkansas appellate courts, along with co-counsel and the National Advocates for Pregnant Women, seeking to reverse a conviction for concealing a pregnancy.
- Overturned in the New Mexico Court of Appeals an order dismissing claims based on an implied contract, establishing for the first time that New Mexico law recognizes an implied contract in the state procurement process.
- Overturned a manslaughter conviction in the Supreme Court of North Dakota, and then won an acquittal on re-trial.
- Representation of an intervening environmental protection organization in an appeal of an order of the New Mexico Public Regulation Commission in the New Mexico Supreme Court.
- Successfully dismissed for lack of standing an appeal brought by an objector to a class action settlement in the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
- Submitted an amicus brief in the Supreme Court of the United States on behalf of a public interest organization in King v. Burwell, 576 U.S. ___ (2015).