Freedman Boyd Hollander Goldberg Urias & Ward, P.A. represents civilians and members of the military accused of violations of military and national security laws. Two of our attorneys, Nancy Hollander and Vincent J. Ward, maintain active security clearances and have handled military and national security issues for more than a decade. Additionally, Mr. Ward served on active duty in the United States Navy, Judge Advocate General Corps, where he prosecuted felony level criminal offenses, including the mishandling of classified materials, murder, sexual assault, and drug distribution, represented the Navy in administrative separation proceedings and conducted internal investigations for senior military commanders.
Representative matters include:
- Pro bono representation resulting in the release of Mohamedou Ould Slahi from the Guantanamo Bay prison facility after fifteen years of detention. The firm also successfully fought for the publication of Slahi’s best-selling memoir, Guantanamo Diary.
- Serving as lead appellate counsel for Army whistleblower Chelsea Manning.
- Defending a naval officer in the largest contracting fraud and bribery case in Navy history.
- Representing Guantanamo prisoner Abd al-Rahim al-Nashiri, who is facing charges of war crimes before the Guantanamo Bay military commission, in obtaining damages from the European Court of Human Rights and in his petition for a writ of habeas corpus.
- Submitted a brief on behalf of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers in the United States Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court of Review regarding the constitutionality of surveillance of American citizens under the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act.