What You Need to Know About Getting SSI and SSDI

SSI and SSDI stand for Social Security Disability Insurance. According to the Social Security Administration, it’s possible to get them both simultaneously.

This insurance gives income benefits when a person becomes disabled and isn’t able to work. SSDI provides monthly benefits to help disabled people.

It’s best to consult with a New Mexico employment attorney who will help you with everything (legal advice, applications, appeals, and anything in between).

SSDI Qualifications

People have to pay enough Social Security taxes if they want to qualify for SSDI. These taxes are paid automatically from work wages.

SSI or Supplemental Security Income provides benefits to people with disabilities or older adults who have a low income. People who are sixty-five years old (or older), partly or totally blind, and unable to work because of a disabling medical condition are qualified for these benefits.


The SSA provides both SSI and SSDI. Here is the main difference is:

  • SSI depends on a person’s age or disability and their resources.
  • SSDI depends on a person’s disability and work history.

When someone can get help from both programs, it’s called concurrent benefits. So, how can you get SSI and SSDI and if you can get both? People with limited income and resources and work credits can get them both.

SSI is an option for people with limited income and no work history. A person might be disabled but have no Social Security work credits through their job. They won’t qualify for SSDI but may qualify for SSI.

Older adults (sixty-five-years-old or older) don’t always need to be disabled to apply for SSI. These people may qualify if they have low income and resources. Without disability, however, they aren’t eligible for SSDI.

How Can You Get Both SSI and SSDI?

To get both SSI and SSDI, you’ll have to file a claim. You should submit an application as soon as the disability occurs. It’s best to file this claim with the help of a lawyer who has experience in this area.

You can send the application for both SSI and SSDI by calling the SSA, through your local Social Security office, or online through the SSA website.

If you’re applying for a disabled child younger than eighteen years of age, can’t apply for SSI online. The same goes for older people who are sixty-five or older. Everyone else can apply for SSDI online.

Income and Resources

SSI will consider any money that you earn, including Social Security benefits, pension, and valuable items someone has given to you. Every state has a threshold for SSI.

You may be eligible for SSI if your possessions are worth less than $2000 ($3000 for a married couple). The SSA considers bank accounts and other money, not homes or cars.

If you’re eligible for SSDI benefits, the amount you’ll get every month is calculated to your lifetime earnings (this isn’t the same for everyone). If you have unmarried children younger than 18 (or under age 19 if still in high school) that live with you, you may get additional money.

If you get SSI, you’ll get a monthly payment of up to $ 674.00 (for an individual) or $ 1,011.00 (for an eligible couple). The amount may be reduced if the spouse has too many resources or income.

People who still work may get qualified for SSDI and SSI. If you’re disqualified by the Social Security Administration’s regulation, that means that you’re engaged in “substantial gainful activity” meaning that you work and earn more than $1000 per month.

If you are in a sheltered workshop, and aren’t competitive in the labor market (this refers to part-time workers) and earn less than $1000 per month, you may be eligible to apply for and get SSDIB and/or SSI.

Do You Need a Lawyer?

If things seem complex and difficult to understand, it’s best to talk to an attorney who has experience in such cases and who will explain everything to you.

A lawyer with a law degree is trained for long and complex matters like administrative law. In case you’re denied, you can appeal the decision Some cases require an appeal to the United States Federal Court. Trying to do things on your own can lead to a dead end. Make sure you don’t try to do this alone and instead seek a lawyer who knows how to do that.

FBD Law offers you free consultation; contact our office today.

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on reddit